Once upon a time, not so very long ago, I wasborn in the city of the Queen of the Angels known to most people as LosAngeles, California. Angels live near stars. In Los Angeles, some starsreside in the heavens. Others reside on the silver screen or on the stage.It was the stage that attracted my earliest interest. So from the timeI was able to say shuffle ball change,I chose to make my mark on the world as a tap dancer. My thoughts wouldreach others through messages sent and received by means of my feet.
|From grammar school to college, tap shoes were my most important meansof communication. Dancers use words to record rhythms and routines on paperin much the same way that writers use words to give permanent form to theirideas. However, I had no intention of becoming a teacher of English. Iwas going to be a Broadway star even though teachers, then and now, havea better chance of earning a livelihood with a red pen in their grasp thanthey do with a split-soul pair of tap shoes-complete with a boxed apparatusfor doing toe stands-on their feet. |
Shuffling off to U.C.L.A. and dividingmy time between dancing and acting and reading and writing, I picked upsome educational hallmarks from the University of California at Los Angelesalong the way:
- a Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude, in Cinematography in 1959.
- a Master of Arts degree in English in 1964
- a California Junior College Lifetime Credential in 1964.
Putting my tap shoes on hold while implementinga teaching career in the field of higher education and trying my hand atbecoming a wife and a mother, I came back full circle to a need to putthe visual and performing arts at the top of my roster of interests.
So once again, I became a student. Only this time,my tools were paintbrushes, colors, and brilliantly colored threads. Iadded more academic titles to my repertoire.
- an Associate of Arts degree in Art from De AnzaCollege in Cupertino, California in 1987.
- a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with Great Distinctionin Art (Painting) from San Jose State University in San Jose, Californiain 1989.
- a Master of Fine Arts degree in Fiber and MixedMedia Art from John F. Kennedy University in Orinda, California in 1995.
- and a Master of Arts degree in Art History fromSan Jose State University in San Jose, California in 1996.
|Dusting off my tap shoes, I wentback to my first vocational objective which was to dance my way throughlife whenever I can.|
|And now, I have reached another plateau by studying Web site development and management from my favorite Webmaster Mike Hoffhines at Maui Community College, Hawaii.|
Back to Greeneland